Labels



September 8, 2009

Orientation

Let's talk about LOST!    Orientation.
(Click the pics!)








Jin is yelling about the Others to Sawyer and Michael. {His hands are free.}
 Sawyer goes to attack the Big Other but he knocks him out, hits Michael with a big stick and then hits and drags Jin into the jungle.
The Others are literally dragging the three Castaway's through the jungle in three individual nets. They toss the three men down into a pit; a dug out hole in the ground. Groggy Michael wants to know where his boy is.   The big dude closes a hatch door made of sticks on them.

In the Swan hatch Desmond fires a shot. “Do you want him to die? Put it down.”
Jack-“Is this what you were talking about, Locke? Is this your destiny? All roads lead here.”
{Flash Whoosh}
Locke appears bored as he sits in at an anger management group meeting. Francine goes on about her pain that her mother stole $30 from her again and she wants it back.   Apparently her mother drinks. Locke scoffs. The lady Chief of the meeting asks if Locke has something to say, “John, you've been coming here for a month now...”




Amused Locke doesn’t think $30 is worth getting angry about.
The Chief-“Well, Francine feels like 30 dollars..."




Locke-“Francine feels a little too much, if you ask me. You all do. I mean, seriously…So-and-so never called me back, my mother stole 30 dollars from me.  I never even knew who my parents were.  A couple of years ago my uh, my birth mother found me, and uh, she told me I was special. {He gets teary} And… and through her I met my real father. Great news, right?! {He gets fired up} Well, he pretended to love me just long enough to steal my kidney because he had to have a transplant.  And then he dropped me back in the world like a piece of trash just like he did on the day that I was born. {He yells} You want your damned 30 dollars back? I want my kidney back!”

Locke is outside trying to light a cigarette but can’t.    In frustration he tosses it to the ground.
A woman from the meeting walks up to him and says, “Probably a good idea. You know if you get kidney cancer you've only got one.”
John thinks that’s funny and apologizes for ruining her meeting.
Helen-“Oh hell, you just said everything I've always wanted to say in there.   Most of the time I want to stand up and scream: get over it, freaks.”
John wonders why she doesn’t.
Helen-“I have to keep a cork in. Once I get all hot and bothered there's no stopping me. I guess you won't be coming back next week, huh?”
John, “No, not likely.”
Helen feels that’s too bad as she likes bald guys.
John replies he’s not bald. Flirty Helen can wait. They introduce themselves to each other.
{Flash Whoosh}
In the Swan hatch Jack wants to know where Kate is.   Desmond demands Jack lower his gun or he’ll blow Locke’s damned head off.
While Jack demands to know where Kate is, we see her crawling through the AC vent, remove a grate and lower herself into a dark room.    She opens the sliding door to the main living area to let in light and sees she’s in a stocked weapons storage vault/Armory.    Kate loads a rifle and quietly makes her way over to the three men arguing over putting down the gun.    Kate comes up behind Desmond and knocks him down with her rifle, a gun accidentally fires and hits the computer; it’s smoking.










Jack tells Desmond not to move but Locke is compassionate to Desmond being unarmed.
Jack yells-“He just had a gun pointed at your head!”
Desmond freaks out seeing the damaged computer, “Oh… What did you do? What did you do? We're all going to die. We're all going to die.”

Desmond explains to Jack if he doesn’t let him up and fix the computer they’re all gonna die.    Jack won’t let him up and tells him to “Stop moving or I swear to god…”
Desmond- “Look at the wall. {Timer 98 to 97} You see that? That's a timer. It's counting down. I've got to enter the code. I've got to push the button.”
Jack-“Or what?”
Concerned Locke feels Jack should let him up."
Jack- “Don't tell me what to do! {he asks Desmond} Or what? What's going to happen?”
Desmond looks up at Jack and asks, “Do I know you?
{Funny, Jack recognized Desmond when he saw him. Did Desmond forget that? It supposedly was only moments ago!}
Jack makes sure Kate “has” Desmond “covered” and lets Desmond get up.      Desmond runs over to the computer and pushes an on-off switch a few times to evaluate things.   Locke just looks at Jack.
{Flash Whoosh}
Helen is sleeping as Locke is quietly putting his shoes on.  Helen wakes up and wonders where he’s going.
Locke- “Nowhere, I… I … I just have trouble sleeping in a strange bed. No, it has nothing to do with you, Helen, I promise. I really like you. I'm sorry, I'll call you later.”
Helen is insulted.

It's daybreak and Locke is sitting in his red beetle in front of Cooper's house drinking coffee. He watches the guard at the house via the rear view mirror.   Cooper gets in the car and says “Morning” to John. John is stunned.
Cooper-“John, I know you like to drive through my neighborhood.   And I know that every now and then you like to park outside my house.   Now, I thought it might all stop when I moved, but uh, here you are. Now, I admit at first I thought it was funny… now it's just annoying. So how about you tell me what the hell it is you want.”
John is obviously in emotional pain so he asks Cooper “Why?”
Cooper-“There is no 'why'. Do you think you're the first person that ever got conned? You needed a father figure and I needed a kidney, and that's what happened. Get over it. And John, don't come back. You're not wanted.”
John takes a sip of coffee and breaks down; he’s deeply hurt.
{Flash Whoosh}
Desmond is looking through his bookshelf for something but also turns something electronic on; lights go on {you can hear it power up.}
Locke looks around.


Locke-“I don't think you need that, Kate {to Desmond} Whatever you're looking for, maybe I can help.”
Des-“Can you fix a computer? {Locke gives the ‘I don’t know’ gesture.} Then you can't help me, can you?”
Kate-“Sayid can fix a computer."
Locke thinks that a good idea, “Get him. Go and get Sayid."
Jack-“Can you get back up that rope?”
Kate- I won't have to, there's got to be a front door in this place.” {Really?}
Desmond- “Down the corridor to the left. Be persistent, the wheel sticks. {Desmond finds his jar of parts} Got ya.”
Desmond and Locke run to the computer.
Kate persistently turns the sticky wheel that opens the door.

Jack takes the jar hostage in an effort to get Desmond to come clean. “Now, you're going to tell me what's going on.”
Locke tells Jack they don’t have time for…"
Jack-“We're taking a time out.”
Desmond pleads with him.
Jack-“Look, you want to get to work you're going to tell me how you got here."
Desmond-“It was three years ago. I was on a solo race around the world, and my boat crashed into the reef, and then Kelvin came."
Locke-“Kelvin?"
Desmond-“Kelvin… he comes running out of the jungle, hurry, hurry, come with me. He brings me down here.  The first thing he does because there's beeping already, he types in the code, he pushes the button, and it stops. What was all that about, I say. Just saving the world, he says.”
Jack-"Saving the world?"
Desmond-"His words, not mine. So I started pushing the button, too. And we saved the world together for awhile and that was lovely.  Then Kelvin died…and now here I am all alone. The end.“
Jack hands Desmond the jar and the timer clicks down to 84.
Jack says to Locke, “Don't tell me you believe this. This is crazy. You think that makes sense, pushing a button? You're going to take his word for it?”
Locke feels his word is all they have.
As calmed down Desmond works on the computer he tells the guys they don’t have to take his word for it, “Watch the film.”
He directs them to the bookcase, “Top shelf, behind ‘Turn of the Screw’, projector's in the pantry.”
Locke hurries to get going on that!

 Locke finds Turn of the Screw, tosses it, then finds the film reel tin marked "Orientation" and shows it to Jack.

At the beach Hurley plays catch with no collar Vincent near the water. He runs over to help Sayid who is dragging a metal crate along the beach.
Hurley-"Dude, I've got to say, I didn't think we were going to get through the night. And I wasn't even here for that baby stealing part."
Sayid assures him it was very exciting.
Hurley feels it's about time things are finally returning to normalness. {Normalness, here on this "Island"? Could anything be considered normal? Maybe there really is a normalcy to the Island that Hurley knows about? Hmmm?!}
Kate calls out for Sayid.
Hurley-"Uh, crap"
Kate informs Sayid they need his help.

In the pit Sawyer whispers asking Jin in English, "What do you know? What did they do to you? Who the hell are they? Who the hell are they?"
Jin-"Others." {Mentions something in Korean.} Michael asks Jin if he saw Walt.
Sawyer-"The Others? How many? How many?"
Jin communicates in Korean and gestures that he was blindfolded.
Michael translates the gesture, "He was blindfolded."
Sawyer suggests there could be a hundred of the out there, "Push me up."   He's going to try to get them out of there.
They push Sawyer up and he tries to open the stick hatch, but they've got it weighted down with something; it's tied off somewhere. Sawyer wants to be lifted higher.
A knife pokes through the stick hatch and Sawyer falls. The big dude looks down at and throws an unconscious woman in.
Michael-"It's a girl." {She has scratches on her face.}

Locke is setting up the film on the reel to reel projector. Jack wants to know what was going on down here before I showed up.
Locke-"Kate was tied up, Desmond had a gun on me. I think you pretty much caught the gist of it."
Jack whispers,"Desmond."
Locke shares Desmond wants to know a lot about them; how they got there and if they were "sick."
Jack-"You didn't ask anything about him?"
Locke-"He was the one with the gun."
Jack-"You sure seem calm for someone who believes the world's going to end in the next 45 minutes."
Confident Locke feels, "He'll fix it."
Jack-"You understand that what he's saying. It's, it's insane. It's impossible."
Locke-"Why is it insane?"
Jack-"Because the last time I saw a computer that was going to save the world, it didn't look like that." {That is not a general statement, that is specific!}
Locke-"Is the reason you're so upset because he said he recognized you? {Jack doesn't answer.} Because that would be impossible."   {Nothing is impossible.}

They watch the film...John smiles.
The DHARMA Initiative 3 of 6
Swan-DHARMA logo
Orientation Station 3 The Swan.
Marvin-"Welcome, I'm Dr. Marvin Candle, and this is the orientation film for Station 3 of the DHARMA Initiative.   In a moment you'll be given a simple set of instructions for how you and your partner will fulfill the responsibilities associated with the station.   But first, a little history.
The DHARMA Initiative was created in 1970, and it is the brainchild of Gerald and Karen DeGroot, two doctoral candidates at the University of Michigan.   Following in the footsteps of visionaries such as B.F. Skinner {The film glitches/skips/edit} imagined a large scale communal research compound where scientists and free thinkers from around the globe could pursue research in meteorology, psychology, parapsychology, zoology, electromagnetism, and Utopian social {Edit} Danish industrialist and munitions magnate Alvar Hanso whose financial backing made their dream of a multi-purpose social science research facility a reality.
You and your partner are currently located in Station 3, or the Swan, and will be for the next 540 days.   Station 3 was originally constructed as a laboratory where scientists could work to understand the unique electromagnetic fluctuations emanating from this sector of the island.   Not long after the experiments began, however, there was an incident.  And since that time the following protocol has been observed: every 108 minutes the button must be pushed.  From the moment the alarm sounds you will have 4 minutes to enter the code into the microcomputer processor {Edit} induction into the program.   When the alarm sounds, either you or your partner must input the code.   It is highly recommended that you and your partner take alternating shifts. In this manner you will stay as fresh and alert {Edit} utmost importance that when the alarm sounds the code be entered correctly, and in a timely fashion.
Do not attempt to use the computer {Edit} for anything {Edit}. Congratulations. Until your replacements arrive, the future of the project is in your hands.
On behalf of the DeGroots, Alvar Hanso and all of us at the DHARMA Initiative, thank you. Namaste. And good luck."
The Hanso Foundation, 1980. All Rights Reserved.

Locke states, "We're going to need to watch that again." {I love Locke!}

Locke and Helen are at a restaurant. Helen gives John a gift. "It's a present. It's been 6 months, sort of an anniversary, right?"
John didn't get her anything. Helen doesn't mind as her gift only cost a buck. John opens the small box and reveals it's a key to Helen's place.
Helen thought he might be tired of knocking.   John doesn't know what to say.  Helen tells him there's a condition that comes with the key... "When you stay over, you stay over."
She reveals she followed him last night, "To that house that you go to. Is it your father's house?"
John wonders why she would follow him.
Helen-"Well, you sneak off in the middle of the night. I... I just needed to know where you were going? I care about you, John,"
John seems a bit insulted-"Well, yeah, but what I do is my business. It's personal."
Helen-"I wasted 20 years of my life being angry. I told myself I would get over it, but I couldn't do it alone. I needed to find help. You help me John. And I can help you. You just have to promise me that you're not going to go to that place anymore."
John agrees and puts the key in his pocket. They kiss.
{Flash Whoosh}
Locke is re-loading the film in the projector.
Jack-"You're going to watch that again?"
Locke-"Aren't you?"
No, Jack is not.

In the pit Ana Lucia wakes up and appears scared. Concerned Sawyer asks "Sister" if she's alright.
Ana Lucia-"Who are you?"
Michael explains they crashed there; they were on a plane, Sydney to Los Angeles."
Sawyer-"40 of us made it."
Ana Lucia-"Flight 815?"
Sawyer-"You were on it, too?"
Michael-"What? You were in the back? It broke off mid-air. How did you..."
Ana Lucia-"I don't know. I don't know. The plane came apart, and... and somebody's fricking hardside came out of the overhead and knocked me out. I woke up underwater and made my way to the top...swam to shore."
Sawyer asks if she's been out there by herself  the whole time.
Ana Lucia-"Trying to find food... making my way hoping to find somebody. And then, yesterday, they found me."
Michael asks who they are.
Ana Lucia-"You tell me."
Michael inquires if she saw a boy about 10 years old, "They took my son."
Ana introduces herself and says she didn't see him.
Sawyer- "Sawyer. This is Mike. The quiet Korean guy is Jin. We're about to be the best thing that ever happened to you."
Ana Lucia asks, "How's that?"
Sawyer-"Because next time Shaft opens the cage {shows the gun } he's going to get a surprising little howdy doody."

Desmond is working on fixing the computer. Jack asks Desmond if he's in contact with the people that made the film; is he in contact with anyone?
Desmond-"Do you think I'd be here if I was?"
Jack wonders how Desmond "Didn't know about the crash, about us?" {Really! He didn't hear a crash?!}
Focused Desmond-"I push this button every 108 minutes. I don't get out much."
Jack-"So, these replacements?"
Desmond-"Kelvin died waiting for his replacements."
Jack asks if that's so, "Where does his food come from? You really think this is happening?"
Desmond-"Why wouldn't it be?"
Jack-"It says "Quarantine" on the inside of the hatch to keep you down here. To keep you scared. But you know what? We've been up there for over 40 days and no one's gotten sick. You think that this is the only part of it that's true?   Do you ever think that maybe they put you down here to push a button every 100 minutes just to see if you would?  That all of this, the computer, the button...it's just a mind game? An experiment?" {Every 108 minutes Jack, not 100!}
Desmond-"Every single day. And for all our sakes, I hope it's not real.   But the film says this is an electromagnetic station.   And I don't know about you, brother, but every time I walk past that concrete wall out there, my fillings hurt. {Although it sounds like he says his feeling hurt. Plus it's a good thing a dentist landed in a tree on the other side of the island!}
{Timer-49 00} Right. {He flips the switch on the computer, it blows and the power goes out. A generator supplies minimal power} Oh no!"
 

Locke asks what happened.
Desmond starts to freak out and declares "It's over" and packs food, the serum and pneumatic injector. {The Third Policeman book is shown.}
Locke- "What are you doing? Are you leaving? Desmond? Wait. We can...we can fix the computer. Sayid is coming. He knows..."
Desmond-"Give him my best." {WTF?!}
Jack sees that Desmond leaves the photo of he and Penny behind.
Locke is upset. "Wait, wait, wait! Where are you... You can't leave. Where are you going?" {It's almost like Locke is asking those questions to himself.}
Desmond, bailing out the door with the sticky wheel tells Locke, "As far as I can run, brother." {There's another door beyond that one.}
Jack goes to follow him. Locke asks Jack what should they do.
Jack-"Nothing. We do nothing. It's not real. None of it's real."
Locke-"This isn't... this isn't what was supposed to happen!"
Jack-"What was supposed to happen?"
Locke-"Please, don't leave me here."
Jack-"Bye, John. You're on your own."
Locke-"Jack!"
Jack exits.

Timer-47 00
Locke tries put part of the computer together but knocks over a red toolbox. As he picks up the tools he's getting angry and frustrated, "Why is this happening like this? What do you want? What do you... What am I supposed to do?!"    Locke is near tears.

Helen is sleeping while John lies wide awake staring at the ceiling.
John splashes water on his face and looks at himself and at his kidney scar in the mirror.

John is sitting in his car in front of the gated house drinking coffee.    Another car bumps into the back of his and Helen gets out.   John is stunned.   Fired up Helen grabs Locke's keys out of the ignition and runs over to the gate as panicked John begs her to wait, but Helen throws his keys over the gate anyway.
John-"Why are you doing this?"
Helen-"He's not coming out of this house, John because he doesn't care. I know why you're here, why you keep coming here.   You're scared. You're scared of moving forward...with me, with us. You're going to have to choose. Him or me."
John-"No, no, no, it's not that simple."
Helen feels it is.
John-"I, I, I can't. I can't."
Helen-"Yes, you can."
Angry John feels, "No, I can't! I don't know how."       He gets teary.
Helen-"Because you don't know what's going to happen. None of us do. That's why it's called a leap of faith, John. You don't have to be alone."
She holds out her hand and John takes it.
{Flash Whoosh}


Alone Locke is crying. Kate comes in calling out for Jack.
She enters the computer room and just by saying John's name he snaps out of it.
Hurley and Sayid are with Kate. Hurley seems amazed by the room.
Sayid-"What is this place?"
Kate asks where Jack is.
Locke-"Jack's gone. {to Sayid} I need your help."
Timer shows 24 00.
{23 minutes lapsed.}
Kate is in the corridor looking around. She asks Sayid what it looks like.
Sayid-"It's a breaker box. There has to be one. Follow the conduit lines."
Hurley-"Cool, okay, great. What's a conduit line?"
Kate points out tubes and tells him to follow those.
Hurley finds the pantry. "Whoa!"
Kate-"Did you find it?"
Hurley-"Uh, uh, depends on what you mean by it?" {Kate already found that!}

In the pit Sawyer tells Ana Lucia,"Alright, here's what we're going to do.  Jin plays dead, you call for help."
Ana Lucia-"Sick prisoner, are you serious?"
He wonders if she has a better idea.  She just wants to know where he got the gun and how'd he get it on the plane. Sawyer shares there was a federal marshal on the plane.
Sawyer-"Yeah, I'm lucky. Mike, let's get this thing going..."
Sawyer didn't use the gun while they were being grabbed because he was too busy getting hit in the face with a club. He wonders why "Cupcake" is so interested.  Michael immediately changes the subject, "C'mon, let's just...we gotta.."
Ana Lucia grabs the gun and elbows Sawyer in the face.
Ana Lucia yells,"Back up! Back up. Coming out. Coming out!"
The big dude lifts the stick hatch, lowers a rope and pulls Ana Lucia up. He asks what happened and who they are. He ties down the hatch made of sticks.

Desmond trips and falls down a hill as he runs through the jungle. Jack appears and pulls his gun on Desmond, "Stop."
Desmond thinks Jack stopped him for the code. Jack doesn't know what Desmond is referring to.
{Are we sure Jack wasn't a policeman or a soldier in a previous incarnation of his life? The dude always has a gun! lol!}
Desmond-"Listen carefully. If by some miracle you manage to get the computer working again you've got to enter the code: 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42, hit execute. Again- 4, 8, 15..."
Jack just tells him to shut up. "Nothing is going to happen. Some man takes you down there, shows you a movie, and you push a button on, on faith alone? Nothing is going to happen!"
Desmond-"In about 15 minutes you're either going to be very right, or very wrong, brother. You want to shoot me? Shoot me. but I'm not hanging around..."
Jack-"Why are you running?! You don't even know what you're running from!"
Desmond-"I remember you...running...I know you. I met you... Los Angeles. I was training, yeah? You twisted your ankle..."
Jack-"Stop."
Desmond-"You're a doctor, right? There was this girl...you were worried...you said, you said you failed her. That was you."
Jack feels that doesn't matter.
Desmond wonders if the girl is okay; what happened to her? How can Jack say it doesn't matter?
Jack blurts out, "I married her!"   He cries.
Desmond-"Right, and you're... you're not married to her anymore, then?"
He picks up his pack and tells Jack, "See you in another life, yeah?"


The timer- 5:00
Locke asks Sayid if he can fix it.
Sayid-"This man, whoever he was, replaced the motherboard. The power transformer is blown."
Locke-"Don't you need to know why?"
Sayid-"All I need to know is that the timer is counting down to something. And that this computer needs to be repaired. I'm sure you'll tell me why once I've done so."

Kate finds the breaker, flips the switch and the lights turn on.
The alarm sounds and the timer passes 4 minutes and starts its beeping sequence.
Hurley seems concerned, "Oh, what's that?"
Locke is panicked, wanting Sayid to work faster, "You have to..."
Sayid-"I know what I have to do.   Reconnected the processor.   Replaced the transformer."    He turns it on and Kate wonders what happens now.
Locke-"There was a code. He made me enter it."
Concerned Hurley asks, "What code?"
Sayid-"Do you remember what it is?"
Locke-"4, 8..."
Hurley's getting worked up, "Wait a minute..."
Locke-"15, 16..."
Hurley-"Dude, I'm serious, stop."
Locke-"Hugo, this is not the time or the place."
Hurley-" Yeah, well, I think it is."
Locke-"23..."
Hurley-"What is this thing? You don't even know what it does. We need..."
Locke-"32..."
Hurley-"You know what? Forget it, go ahead, do your thing."
Jack appears, "It's not 32. It's 42. He just told me, Desmond. The last numbers 42."
Locke-"You're sure."
Jack-"Yeah, I'm sure."
Locke enters 42, and is about to press execute but suggests Jack do it, "You have to do it."
Jack-" You do it yourself, John."
Locke-"No, you saw the film, Jack. This is a...This is a two person job, at least."
{This has been a 2 person operation, Kelvin dies. Does Desmond take on this task completely by himself? He did it as a 1 man operation.}
Sayid-"This argument is irrelevant."
Jack doesn't want Sayid to interject.
Adamant Jack insists, "No. It's not real. Look, you want to push the button, you do it yourself."
Locke-"If it's not real, then what are you doing here, Jack? Why did you come back? Why do you find it so hard to believe?"
Jack-"Why do you find it so easy?!"
Locke-"It's never been easy!"
The timer shows 1 04. A 'warning' type alarm sounds.
Kate-"Maybe you should just do it."
Jack-"No. It's a button."
Locke-"I can't do this alone, Jack. I don't want to. It's a leap of faith, Jack."
Timer 00 27.
Jack goes to the computer and pushes the button with 1 second to spare.
The timer resets to 108 00.
Locke sits down at the computer, "I'll take the first shift."
Jack exits.
The timer counts down.
Orientation is a great episode!  A very interesting episode.
Faith vs. free will.   Desmond continued to push the button believing he's saving the world. Jack still needs fact/proof of what is to be before he acts upon this button thingy. As humans, how do we choose between making a decision based on facts/proof or faith?   If a person only believes in one or the other, is every single decision made in life based solely on those factors?
Even though this episode shows us that pushing the button could be important... is it real?
Let's look beyond something here, let's take the "button pushing" out of the equation for a moment. The dialogue that is coming out of Jack's mouth could be the truth.   Are the things they are experiencing real or really happening?   Are they part of a psychology, human behavior study, an experiment, a project, an adventure/journey...a game? I think YES!!

Things to Note...Questions to ask... 
Real. Not Real.
This is the third time we’ve seen the scene with Locke, Desmond, Jack and Kate inside the hatch.
Replacements.
Marvin Candle gives a brief history of the D.I.. Why would he need to do that? Wouldn't the men in that station already be privy to the "background"?
Marvin "Candle" =Light.
Timer. Time out. Reset.
Micro computer processor. Motherboard. Power transformer. Tools. Button. Stick. Shift. Execute. Code. Program.
Words. Written. Script.
Projector. Film. Stereo. Speakers.
Operation. Partner. Team. Worth. Fail.
Jack asks Des “What’s going to happen?”   And in Adrift Locke asks Des, “What’s going to happen?”
What is with Desmond and the electronics?  And why doesn't he give Sayid a chance to fix the computer before declaring "it's over" and running off?
Desmond leaves the photo of him and Penny behind!
The computer needs to be fixed.
I feel like Desmond is rambling about a story or retelling a story.
Does Desmond get back in his boat at this point?  Did he run for days then get in his boat? We know he sails around for 2 weeks- That would mean the Lostie's would only have had access to the Swan for about 2 weeks.
Faith. Fact
Head. Crazy. Insane.
Feelings. Hurt. Alone. Fear. Scared. Anger. Frustration. Failure. Uncertainty.
Kate finds the pantry then Hurley enters the pantry.
Hurley is not a fan of the hatch and computer, I wonder why.
We get lots of info from the film even though it is edited. Obviously someone doesn't want people to know ALL the information.
How many lives can these people have?
Jack is the first man in the room to push the EXECUTE button.
Please watch the Orientation film again. Listen to it, but look at what is being shown to us. Plus, do you see Michael anywhere in there?  I'm not saying that it is for sure (yeah), but if you look in two scenes you can see a man with a very large afro, who looks like- in profile- like Michael. The camera is very careful to show us 'just enough' of this person, but not enough to be positive. Maybe it's a look alike/replica. If it is Michael, that would support my thoughts of him being "connected" to the "Island".

Vocabulary and Research...
♦  Code- In communications a code is a rule for converting a piece of information (for example, a letter, word, phrase or gesture) into another form or representation (one sign into another sign), not necessarily of the same type. In communications and information processing, encoding is the process by which information from a source is converted into symbols to be communicated.
- Code (cryptography) device for hiding the meaning of a message.
- Code (computer programming) or machine code, any sequence of statements and/or declarations written in some human-readable computer programming language.
- Coding theory, branch of mathematics and computer science dealing with data transmission.
-Decoding is the reverse process, converting these code symbols back into information understandable by a receiver.
-CODE- Computationally Oriented Display Environment.
♦  Cheat Code-Creates an advantage beyond normal game play, usually to make the game easier. Cheats include advantages such as invulnerability ("God mode") or an infinite amount of some resource such as ammunition. Cheats may also create unusual or interesting effects which do not necessarily make the game easier to play, such as making enemies tougher, or giving characters (including enemies) different appearances, such as large heads. Cheats often take the form of "secrets" placed by game developers, usually to reward dedicated players. Cheats may be activated from within the game itself (a cheat code implemented by the original game developers); or created by third-party software (a game trainer) or hardware.
Orientation (Mental)- Function of the mind.
- Orientation (Housing)-The position of a building with respect to the sun, a concept in building design.
Orientation (Computer vision), an image processing concept related to one-dimensional characterization of a local image.
♦  Orienteering, a sport involving map orientation.
♦  Conduit- is an open source synchronization program for GNOME.
- Someone who coveys information (prophet or spokesperson)or in secret (mole or informant)
- Something that conveys information such as TV, computer or website.
♦  Channels for carrying water or other fluids.
♦  Electrocardiography (ECG or EKG) is a transthoracic interpretation of the electrical activity of the heart over time captured and externally recorded by skin electrodes. It is a noninvasive recording produced by an electrocardiographic device.
The etymology of the word is derived from electro, because it is related to electrical activity, cardio, Greek for heart, and graph, a Greek root meaning "to write".   The electrical waves can be measured at electrodes placed at specific points on the skin.





Since the previous episode I've wondered if all roads lead to Desmond or the Swan.
Jack and Locke watch the orientation film as an introduction to the Swan, but it's really their orientation to the "Island".
Jack and John sit together to watch the film...I sometimes feel like we're seeing two halves of the same person.   And sometimes I feel like the other Lostie's are aspects of  Jack, John and/or each other.  Weird, I know.

We witness the Islanders pursue goals within the "Island" setting.  What if all this, this journey, is more of a live action role playing game, integrating the use of computers and projectors in some way?

Feeling pain, whether it is deep emotional pain, mental, spiritual, or even physical, these are the demons John, Jack and the gang are fighting.    Their hearts are heavy indeed, but one of the goals seems to be to learn how to get over past issues and move forward.

But on to the matter at hand...here is their orientation into this part of their journey.

Love to all who are "LOST"™

Posted on MySpace July 27, 2007

Disclaimer: I never claim to know everything about the show and my thoughts by no means make me right. The things I share here are my views and/or opinions. I don't claim to catch every single detail either. You all know I hate spoilers, and I stand clear of reading certain sites as to not take me off my own course of research. The one thing I don't need to do here is rehash all of the obvious clues from an episode, we all know what they are. Understood? Good. Let the fun begin! I'll only note things that I know come up as clues later, but need to be noted when they first show up and things I find that will be of importance. It will get very exciting as we progress into the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments at Karen's LOST Notebook are being moderated. Any abusive comments or spam will be removed.